Skip to content

Feel Good Friday: 37

July 23, 2010

Here’s the info if you want to join in:

Step 1:
Pick one of these prompts and write about it on your blog!  You can:

• Just make a list. List 5 things that made you really happy this week. No matter how bad or boring you think your week was, I bet you can find 5 things.
  • Write about something that happened to you this week that really made you smile.  Was it your child, husband, or maybe a complete stranger did to you?
  • Write about something that YOU did for someone else that really made them happy or laugh.
  • Is there something you treasure so much that every single time you look at it, it brings you happiness?  Post a pic and tell everyone about it.
  • Having a hard week and can’t find one good thing about it?  Well then, what is your happy place?  What do you think of that makes you happy? A past vacation?  A childhood memory?  We want to know!

Step 2:
Head over here and link up with Mister Linky’s Magical Widgets.  Then go and read at least one other blog and leave them a comment to make their day brighter.

Step 3:
Have fun.  Feel good.  Smile.

Then, start looking for all of the good things you can write about for next week!  Once you start looking for the “good”  you will find it everywhere!

Here goes…

Wednesday was my birthday. 37 years old, in case you were wondering. I had a great day! A is fabulous about making birthdays extra special. This year, we started with my “pre-birthday” on Tuesday. We went out for breakfast, and in the afternoon we went to pick out two of my presents, and then got takeout Armenian food for dinner, which A picked up on his way home from work. (In case you’re in Buenos Aires, and love Sarkis, but can’t stand waiting in line to get a table, or can’t stand the huge, noisy dining room, you can order meals to go, ready to pick up after 9 p.m.)

The 21st was a great day! Lots of fun, and good food all day long! I made an exception to our generally wheat-free diet with some whole wheat pancakes and real maple syrup for breakfast. A had never had pancakes before (can you believe that?!), so it was fun to share them with him (he liked, them, of course). The rest of the day was fabulous!

Thursday afternoon, A took me to the yarn district here in Buenos Aires for my “post-birthday” (which in case you didn’t know is on Scalabrini Ortiz between Córdoba and Corrientes), and I got two skeins each of two kinds of yarn. We went to about six different shops, and they all had such beautiful things!

And I finally found Manos del Uruguay yarn, which is absolutely gorgeous, and actually seems easier to find in the US than here in Argentina! Apparently there’s only one yarn shop that carries it here in Argentina, despite the fact that Uruguay is right next door (actually, right across the river). I had looked it up online before we went, so I knew where to start out.

What I didn’t know about MdU, and learned this afternoon on their label, is that the company is a nonprofit, and is made up of 17 co-ops of rural women that work to spin and dye the yarn, and knit and manufacture the garments they sell (they also sell sweaters made from their own wool). The idea behind the company is to generate jobs for rural women, allowing them to work from their pueblos without having to move to the city. If you knit or crochet, and you can find MdU yarn in your area, please support this project! It’s a fantastic idea.

Happy weekend, all! Hugs!

About these ads
18 Comments leave one →
  1. July 23, 2010 9:20 am

I’m glad you had a great birthday!!!

2. Michelle permalink
    July 23, 2010 8:20 pm

Glad you had a good birthday and managed to spread the celebrating over several days!

How many times in your life have you had to explain why your name is Holly when you were born in July? I was just thinking that after having to explain how to pronounce Holly Worton to hispanohablantes, this must be a common follow up question. ;)

Isn’t shopping for stuff to make stuff fun?? I had a great time with my recent fabric purchasing blitz. It is so different now, though, than just going down to the local fabric store like when I was a kid.

Since the yarn you mentioned is from a women’s co-op, I’m wondering if it more readily available in the some US based organization helped set it up?

3. July 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Actually, I used to get that question ALL THE TIME when I lived in the US.

But down here, people don’t associate it with the plant, unless they have extensive knowledge of Bach flower treatments (I have had more than one person down here associate my name with Bach flower remedies).

Mostly, people just get confused between holy and Holly. In Mexico, lots of people used to ask if my parents were really religious.

I loved shopping for yarn! Loved it! Lots of beautiful stuff, and now I have three different kinds of yarn to make things with. Another friend gave me variegated green yarn as a gift.

Do you sew?

I’ll bet some US NGO must have helped them out. It’s a great project.

4. July 23, 2010 9:07 pm

I absolutely love that you got to introduce someone to pancakes!!

The company sounds fabulous. I have several knitting friends and will have to share the info.

Happy birthday!

Nice to meet you- thanks for linking up for FGF!

5. July 23, 2010 9:10 pm

Liz, I know, isn’t that crazy??!! I was so excited that he had his first pancakes.

Thanks for sharing about MdU. It’s a great project.

Hugs!! Happy weekend!

6. July 23, 2010 11:55 pm

So what were the 2 gifts you picked out? I think I remember 37. It was a good year! I don’t knit or crochet or do anything remotely crafty, but if I did, I would buy that yarn. And I’ll pass the tip on to our admin assistant who does do crochet.

7. July 24, 2010 4:20 am

Sounds excellent, all of it. Happy birthday. All good things to you. I hope I find that yarn. I love the idea of the project. XD

8. Michelle permalink
    July 24, 2010 9:09 pm

After several years with a sewing machine that was making me not want to sew I lucked into a steal of a floor model. I have some time right now, and truthful, My wardrobe needs some work and this is the more economical way to go about it (really). The trick is finding good fabric, which, believe me, is out there, just not at most local shops. I had to figure out the sources: Online, a place in Santa Cruz (also sells online, but fortunately not far from me), a small local place (also sells better quality yarn), a place in SF that I haven’t been to yet, and a place a funky warehouse-ish place with lousy customer service that I also have not yet checked out.

9. July 25, 2010 7:44 pm

Happy Birthday! Can’t believe you’ve never had pancakes and really is there ANYTHING you can’t get in Argentina?! Armenian food! Seems the never ending list is growing longer! Sounds like you had fun!

10. July 26, 2010 2:16 pm

Thanks Amy! I got some new black, low-heel boots to wear with skirts in the winter (now) so I don’t freeze my legs off! And a new top for the gym.

Thanks Purplume! I’m sure you’ll have no problem finding it on the mainland. You can also order online and have it sent somewhere.

I’m impressed Michelle! Sewing is my other pending activity. I’ve always wanted to learn. Plus, I know I’d go crazy with the fabric.

Thanks Curi! Actually, I’ve had pancakes before (though not in the last five years or so), but my boyfriend had never had them. There’s a big Armenian community in Buenos Aires, so there are actually a LOT of Armenian restaurants here. There’s a whole district of them.

11. July 28, 2010 3:02 am

I love the idea of a pre-birthday! The older we get the MORE we should celebrate. Congrats. Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

12. July 28, 2010 3:44 pm

I agree, Linda! These past two years we’ve done a pre-birthday and a post-birthday, too. Love it!

13. Lebetho permalink
    August 3, 2010 1:09 am

I can’t believe I forgot to wish you happy birthday! I should have remembered when it was, after all we’re twins!!! Anyway, glad to hear it was wonderful. And I too am amazed that A had never eaten pancakes. We ate them a few times in Mexico City when I was a kid (not just at American-style restaurants), so I know they have them SOME places in Latin America.

Enjoy your trip!

14. August 3, 2010 12:40 pm

Thanks Laura! Don’t worry about it. Though, I do have my second birthday on September 29th, which is the one I used to celebrate with you, wasn’t it? So technically, you didn’t forget!

Pancakes are all over Mexico, especially in the touristy areas like Riviera Maya and restaurants like Sanborns. Down here, they have panqueques, but they’re really crepes.

We just did a pre- and post-birthday for A too, in addition to the actual birthday day. I’m liking this!

15. CA Mom permalink
    August 6, 2010 11:14 am

You know…….in the U.S. we have a celebration: “Christmas in July”. I’ll bet that is what you were
    to your parents!

16. August 6, 2010 7:30 pm

I know…where does that saying come from? People always say that when they’re trying to figure out why my name is Holly when I was born in July and not December.

17. CA mom permalink
    August 9, 2010 1:04 pm

Christmas in July probably started in the US because of a sales event so that merchants could get a head start on their year end profits.

18. August 9, 2010 2:24 pm

That makes sense. Otherwise, there are no gift-giving holidays in the summer.